Saturday 21 January 2012

"I know that if Gyuri would not run Trafo, I will not get these latest, daring, cutting edge entertainment at hand any more"


I was just a student when I approached Trafo in year 2000 with the international student film festival EMERGEANDSEE which I was organizing at the time.
I contacted all possible venues including Art cinemas in Budapest and only Gyuri himself replied to me asking me to show him the films that I wanted to screen.
I remember he looked at the films and was little bit dubious, but curiously interested and said I can have the venue. Just like that.  And followed the success of EMERGEANDSEE film festival in Budapest.
I would like to emphasis the point that NO other venue in whole Budapest even replied but Trafo, and on top of that it had given this unknown Erasmus student from London a chance. I must also mention other staff of Trafo who had so sincerely professionally helped me to organize the shows.  
Even after I stopped running the the event, I kept going back to Trafo because of great international theatres and dances, which I couldn't see in any other venues in the city. I can name a few, such as Societas Raffaelo Sanzio,  Random Dance company, Rosas, Wim Vandekeybus, DV8, Akram Kahn, Forced Entertainment and many other, which I'm sure I could never have accessed so easily in Budapest if not for Trafo. I am, for quite selfish reasons, at despair because I know that if Gyuri would not run Trafo, I will not get these latest, daring, cutting edge entertainment at hand any more!
For the last 5 years I also have been taking contemporary dance course organized by Workshop foundation, and is run in Trafo's rehearshal room.
There was a demonstration day for those dance courses at Trafo the other day. After the performance one colleague of mine mumbled, "It feels like home whenever coming back to Trafo and coming to the classes every week.  It is terrible to think that Trafo may not be the way it has been..."  She spoke all our minds.  
Trafo, as I see it, is more than just a venue.  It has accommodated so many artistic, positive, daring, creative minds.
And whom can we thank for that other than Gyuri?

Hana Yamazaki, former organizer of EMERGEANDSEE